If possible, you should first telephone our Compliance area and discuss the problem with one of our representatives. We can be reached through our general telephone number, (302)-739-4235, or call the State of Delaware Helpline, (800) 464-4357, and ask for us. Residents of New Castle County, Delaware may reach us by calling 577-6722. Through discussion we can determine whether an investigation is warranted, and if so, whether we have jurisdiction over the financial institution involved. If an investigation is warranted and possible, you must put the complaint in writing and forward it to this office to the attention of the Compliance area by regular mail, or by facsimile at (302) 739-2356. Be aware that we do not have a secure web site for account specific information.

Financial institutions keep most of their customer information confidential, just as we do. A letter gives us your written authorization to inquire with the financial institution regarding your individual business with them. Additionally, it is often necessary to examine written documentation pertinent to a complaint such as credit agreements, copies of checks, billing statements, etc. These are best obtained as attachments to letters. It also ensures that we are not sharing information with anyone other than you.

No. The Office of the State Bank Commissioner has jurisdiction over state-chartered banks. Some banks in Delaware are federally chartered as either national banks or federal savings banks. National banks are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. Federal savings banks are regulated by the Office of Thrift Supervision. Unless a problem is strictly a matter of state law, issues involving federally chartered institutions are referred to the appropriate federal regulatory authority. The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency may be reached by calling (800) 613-6743. The Office of Thrift Supervision may be reached by calling (800) 842-6929.

Generally national banks, which are regulated by the Comptroller of the Currency, either contain the word “national” in their names or their name is followed by the initials “N.A.”. Federal Savings Banks, regulated by the Office of Thrift Supervision, either contain the words “federal” and “savings” in their names or their name is followed by the initials “F.S.B.”. If you are uncertain, call the Compliance area. Our representative will discuss your problem, determine which regulator can help you and advise you regarding the best way to proceed.

The Office of the State Bank Commissioner licenses and regulates several different types of financial businesses including consumer lenders, mortgage loan brokers, motor vehicle sales finance companies, check cashers, money transmitters and those who write preneed funeral contracts. Each type of license has statutes and regulations with which the licensees must comply. If you have a problem with a company that might fall into one of these categories, call us. We will be glad to discuss the problem and determine if we can be of assistance.

The rate of interest on a loan is established by the agreement that governs the loan. This could be the original solicitation and cardholder agreement for a credit card account or the Truth In Lending Disclosure and Loan Note for a mortgage or a regular installment loan. The amount of interest and related account terms are a contractual matter between the borrower and the lender. Please take the time to shop for the best credit opportunity available to you.